Sunday, March 1, 2009

Workshop On Human Sexuality

The last week of February was indeed one of the most fruitful, as the CB novices were joined by the Missionaries of Africa aspirants for a workshop on sexuality and human development, facilitated by Fr. Michael. Altogether, 22 young men from different backgrounds were able to air their thoughts, comments and experiences on this sensitive issue of ‘sexuality’.

All along I’ve always thought that sexuality is just about sex. But thanks to Fr. Michael for broadening my perception and proving me wrong. After the group discussions on Wednesday, we had a session on Celibacy & Chastity, questions were raised, debates erupted, anger surfaced, novices challenged each other and the facilitator.

Most of the topics we covered throughout the week, I believe are things we know or are aware of, but take for granted. I was able to understand myself and others better. The most difficult task I would say for most of us was, when we were asked to draw ourselves ‘naked’, but after all we were able to understand the reasons behind the illustrations. Each novice had to do this on his own in private. This immediately remind me of what Fr. Michael asked, “Did you know that God made you unique? Did you know that there is no person in this whole wide-world like you? You are special, because you are one of a kind! So why should you ignore that.

Thoughts, feelings and emotions were the second last day’s topic. We closed our week with a brief session on Stress.
(Jordaan Rikambura)

No comments: