Thursday, December 24, 2009

My experience of a silent retreat

From December 14th to December 19th we had days of silence and reflection based on Mission, Prayer and Community. The retreat held at TICCS (Tamale Institute of Cross-Cultural Studies) was directed by our three formators Brs. Vivek, Denis and Henry. The tone set by the facilitators, coupled with the beauty of the surroundings, helped every Novice to enter beautifully into the spirit of retreat and discernment.
Our experience included: morning and evening group meditation/prayer, time for personal reflections and daily Eucharist celebration. These experiences helped me to be at home with myself and others, God and nature. Gradually my mind was opened to understand the core values of Community living, Prayer and Mission and also God’s love for humanity and each one of us individually.
I am convinced that our eyes were opened and we discovered God’s presence in nature. One evening I took a walk in the forest area to catch a glimpse of God, and I came to learn about the presence of God and the way the creator decorated the earth and put in place all things.
In a special way, I wish to express my sincere thanks to our team for their energy and time. Together as a team you created a retreat program so helpful to all of us. Not only did it deepen our novitiate commitment but prepared us for Christmas, and in a special way prepared us to leave the novitiate centre to begin a three-month community pastoral placement in different parts of Tamale.
(Cornelius)

No comments: