Saturday, November 21, 2009

All Souls Day

This feast comes immediately after the feast of All Saints. Over the years I have been wondering who the saints are. After all these two big celebrations, I am convinced that there are so many people all over the world who lived their lives genuinely and deserve to be canonized. For one reason or the other, they can’t be declared saints,and it is on these two days that we recall and celebrate the lives of this multitude.

As an individual, this is a big opportunity to remember all my deceased relatives and friends especially my dear mother. Like the Jews who during captivity asked themselves, “But how could we sing a song of the lord in the foreign land?’(Ps137:40). I also found my self asking the same question but in a slightly different way. How could I remember my late mother in this place far away from where she was buried? But I got a great assurance from the community that I am not the only one who has experienced such agony.

Death is a metamorphosis and a spiritual transformation that awaits us but still there is need for consolation. Margaret Ogola in her novel the river and the source said that the dead have no use for the living who eventually have to tear themselves away to continue with the business of life.

I think there is sense in this statement since the living have to continue with their lives keeping their ancestors in mind.

All in all I pray to the compassionate God to grant all the dead eternal rest and shine the perpetual light upon them. May they rest in peace. Amen
(Otieno)

No comments: