Monday, July 27, 2009

A week of revelations

In classes during June, I discovered new ideas about things I have never known before. Just to mention a few. I noticed that that there is a big connectivity between the Old and the New Testament. I realized that that the Hebrews used the Old Testament. This came across when I came to understand that Hanna the mother of Samuel sang the magnificat when presenting her child to the temple (1 Sam 2: 1-11).
Mary the mother of Christ therefore borrowed a leaf from Hannah’s book and sang her song of praise during the visitation (Luke 1:46-55). The visitation story at the same time captured my attention on the recollection day which was wonderfully facilitated by Br. Frank Keane. The theme I drew from it was service. Mary showed a good example of service when she went to help her cousin Elizabeth.
It dawned on me that the visitation was probably the time she acquired her popular title that has been mentioned over the ages, “Our Lady of Perpetual Help”. I came to understand how tradition is always passed on from age to age.
In the history of the Christian brothers, some concrete statements made by the Founder have also remained. The living example is when the Brothers encountered financial problems at the initial years. When Edmund was asked how to go about it, his answer was “Providence will be our inheritance”. All this brought into my conviction that experiences are also connected. My special gratitude therefore goes to all the formation team who are helping me to see things in a more different and mature way.
(Otieno)

No comments: