Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Soaked!

A couple of weeks ago while on ministry distributing food to the mentally challenged and the sick it rained every heavily soaking all of us wet to the bone.
During that period, quite to my surprise, the driver asked us to get down and stay somewhere, so that we would not be soaked with the rainwater. I disagreed with him.
My mind went back to scripture which says, “A Good Shepherd lays down his Life for the Sheep” (Jn 10:11). We continued in the rains with the distribution until the rain was over.
One of the mentally challenged men, named Abu (not his real name) who stays at the back of a certain Mosque was totally soaked with all his clothing wet to the toe. He was harshly asked to move away from the Mosque. One of the men who had come to pray and saw me giving food to the man confronted me and told me that I should send the man away from the Mosque.
“Your man has been making the place filthy,” he said. Shortly, tears almost started running down my cheeks, I froze, not knowing what to do, because of the mixed feelings within me. I felt sorry for the man. From there I recalled “I was hungry and you gave me food” “Homeless and you sheltered me.”
Again, I asked myself, the poor man has been homeless for a long time but why are such people being treated like that and where is our humanity?
(Cornelius)

No comments: