Saturday, June 13, 2009

Accepting the Body of Chirst

At the last supper when Jesus said,
"This is my body,"
he probably wasn't talking only about the bread.
He was talking about the community gathered there
About their love and care, about their being together again.
He was talking about Himself,
Christ present as teacher, healer, leader.
He was talking about sharing a meal in solidarity.
He was talking about all the sharing they'd done over the years,
All the words they'd spoken, words of truth. love, kindness.

So this meal isn't just bread and wine. No, it is much more.
It is bread broken and wine poured out.
It is a paschal life and a paschal death.

It is a person's life given for others
And a new way of eating and drinking that will last forever.
In this bread we reverence the whole body of Christ:
The poor, those on the streets, those excluded by our norms, the dirty, the hungry, the children in poverty, those suffering from HIV/AIDS

In a word, we hold in reverence the tax collector, the prostitute, the public sinner

Thus we hold in reverence the body of Christ.

In receiving the bread and wine, I accept the body of Christ,
The community here, the people with their weaknesses and their sins, with their strengths and their giftedness, their differences from me.

Will I accept this body, Will I heal it, feed it, care for it and cherish this body?
Amen. Yes,

I do accept the responsibility of living in the body of Christ
Yes you are my brothers and sisters, and so are those others
All of them

I do accept the body of Christ
Amen, Yes.

No comments: