Tuesday, September 23, 2008

I am the Vine, you are the branches!

Few days ago I decided to have a bit of immersion experience in different environments here in Tamale. I decided to visit my mentally and physically challenged children in their different homes as they were on a month’s vacation. It was an experience that left me energized. But it also raised a lot of answered questions.

Some families lived with those who are challenged in a very integrated way loving unconditionally and with no hint of discrimination. While in some other families this was not the case. The question, “when are the schools re-opening again?” was indicative of the fact that for some these children with special needs were a burden.

I found myself questioning, “Am I really aware what these families are going through? Am I aware of the demands made on these families and the sacrifices they have to make daily?

Many of the families were surprised that I had taken the time to especially visit the children. They told me it had been a long while since anyone had come to visit them as friends. This only highlighted the isolation of these children for me.

I pondered Jesus’ words, “I am the vine and you the branches”. How could I make these children feel like the branches? It gave them great joy when I affirmed them that my community held them and their children in prayer. I believe it will be a greater surprise when they realize a wider world is saying a simple prayer for them as a sign of great love, friendship and unity

I request you to breathe a simple prayer today for these my friends and for the many like them, make them feel they are part of the much larger vine, the Kindom of God!

(Samuel Munyua Ngumi)

No comments: