Sunday, June 15, 2008

Eucharistic Circle Challenged!

I believe one of the central aspects of the Eucharist is identifying each person as the embodiment of God. On deeper reflection, the Eucharist calls me to acknowledge my fragility.
One evening during our Community experience in Shekinah, at the climax of the Eucharist, a mentally challenged Muslim woman walked right into our midst and quietly sat on the floor just behind us without intending to cause any disturbance. However, she drew more attention as everyone keenly anticipated her next move. Then one of us got up and offered her a chair in our little Eucharistic circle. She completed our circle. Never once did she draw attention to herself or disrespect the occasion. Even when the bread and wine bypassed her, she never showed any negative reaction. She observed keenly. Didn’t we all?
I realized that as we accepted this woman in our midst, we welcomed the Divine. God surprises us in ways that we do not expect. The ways of providence are by nature surprising.
This woman brought me to a more holistic understanding of the Eucharist. The presence of this woman shed beams of light on my path to deepening the meaning of the Eucharist for me. Truly each person is an embodiment of God.”

Fredrick

No comments: