Monday, October 21, 2013

My Experience at the Tamale Children’s Home

Shortly after our arrival in Tamale, Brothers Tony and Con took us novices around Tamale to see the ministry sites, and I was deeply touched when we came to the Children’s Home. These delightful children captured my attention and led me to request this as my regular ministry. 
My experience there has been enriching. The home has children of various ages, but I have been involved mainly with the infants and toddlers, while the older ones go off to school.  At first it was not easy. I had to learn the mother’s gentle art of changing the nappies and washing the children. I helped in cleaning the house, playing with the children and engaging them in different activities to keep them active. By lunchtime they will all be sleeping. Sometimes I find myself among them having a siesta as well.
Volunteers from overseas also come and spend some time in helping look after the children. Men and women, youths, students and various organisations also take time to visit and donate what they can, in food or in other supplies.  The administration is short of the funds needed for renovations and looking after the children’s basic needs, like clothes and food. They depend heavily on donations from generous individuals and organisations, in Ghana and abroad.
One challenge at the orphanage is the small number of staff. The number of children at the orphanage is greater than the number of staff and this makes it a difficult for the staff, especially to give the individual attention that children want and need. However, when visitors come, the children run up to them to greet these visitors without fear. This shows how they have been well looked after by the few staff, but also how much they respond to some extra attention from visitors and volunteers.
PAUL  KAKULUNDA
Developing skills that are not usually taught in the novitiate!

There are always plenty of little ones needing care and attention.

By the end of the morning, some children are drifting towards siesta.
 

No comments: