Tuesday, June 8, 2010

World Environment Day

This is the day that holds water only to the likes of Wangare Mathai. That is what I used to think before, why? Because I was born and brought up in an already contaminated/polluted environment where nobody cared whether it was taken care of or not.

The issue of taking care of the environment clicked in my mind a few years ago when I realized that a beautiful stream in my village dried up. That particular stream was not only a source of drinking water for the villagers but served as the habitat of the aquatic creatures. All cattle were alike watered by the same stream.
That is when I realized that the nature should be dignified and treated with maximum respect that it deserves.

As a community, we marked the day by centering our prayers around the nature. We followed it closely by keeping our little compound clean. May God bless our mother earth!!
(Otieno)

No comments: