Friday, September 4, 2009

Harmonius Living!

19th August, 2009, surely will be a day I will live to remember and ponder about during my stay in Ghana, not because I had a picnic just two days after celebrating my birthday, not because it is the first time I touched a crocodile, not because it is the day I visited briefly the land of Burkina Faso after crossing the border with Ghana, but because the foundation of my faith was shaken and broadened.
It was the day I came into real contact with a Roman Catholic religious congregation of Brothers – the Presentation Brothers – sharing the same compound with African Traditional Religion. My brothers and sisters, what I mean here is this; African Traditional believers having their shrine in a religious and formation house compound! With the unwelcome perceptions we Christians have towards these traditional religious as barbaric, outdated, paganistic, and fetish, I think if my local ordinary was to hear this he may drop dead.
But is there something wrong with this? Absolutely no! This is a practical scenario on how best the two parties have gone with their religious inter-Dialogue, how they have come to understand the underlying message behind difference in their religious beliefs and prayer, that “we are all looking and searching for one thing, one product:; God’s unconditional love and compassion though packed in different containers called Christianity and African Traditional Religion.
In a Christian prospect, I believe these Religious Brothers have, undoubtedly learnt to live far more beyond the law, and in their own way and language are struggling to respond to Jesus’ call “Unless your virtues go beyond those of Scribes and the Pharisees, you will not see the kingdom of heaven” To me this is where the theory of co-existence is magnificently translated into reality! It is possible, the divisions among our religions we can eradicate, and this we can do without turning over each other’s coat, just like these Brothers are enjoying their harmonious living with the other religion. It starts with you and I, lets get out and act even in our small capacities, ‘the seed will grow’ or who shall we wait for? (Nicholas)

No comments: