Friday, April 10, 2009

Celebrating our very own Seder Meal

It was a fantastic experience to partake in the Pascal meal; it was a time of prayer, learning and feasting as a community. Taking part in the banquet helped me to deepen my understanding of what the Passover and the mystery of Easter really means. The mandate of washing the feet – the commandment to Love and of Service to each another, came out clearly. I wish all humanity to live by it always. The question I asked during the event as the youngest about the significance of the night had some realism to me and thanks to Vivek for arranging the day in a systematic way. Upon pronouncing the last line of the feast “Next year in the New Jerusalem” many comments were passed; “It was nice. I enjoyed it. This is what it means. I have learnt a lot. Bitter herbs helped me to reflect on today’s world situations. There are some similarities with African culture. My eyes are opened. I felt belong washing hands and sharing everything together” (Sydney)

“Was my heart not burning from within when we celebrated this meal? To me it was a new venture in my life. I had heard of the Seder meal before but had never been present at one. I am ever grateful to the formation team for putting me in touch with the Israelites and their experience in Egypt as slaves.” (Otieno)

Curiosity killed a cat, that’s what they say. But no, it made me eager and anticipating, to have an experience of the Seder meal. This truly marvelous and meticulously arranged celebration gave me a real picture of the Passover. It being my first time to celebrate the Seder meal, I was highly fascinated by the chronology of the meal. The pouring of wine, the breaking of bread, the bitter herbs and the meal itself. (Nicholas)

At long last, the Seder meal was finally here. It was good to kill all the anxiety by participating in the Seder meal. At least I know what it is all about and how the institution was started. In addition I can see the possibilities that might have made the disciples to sleep at the garden! However the meal reminded me of berakah (Praise, bless and thanks). (Sunday)

Wednesday was my first experience of the Seder Meal. I was curious to see how it would be and at the same time enthusiastic to participate in all ways possible. I had thought it would be just about food but it also helped me to reflect on the pain and suffering of the Israelites at the hands of Pharaoh, as well as relating this with the struggles and pains that different people in the world today are going through. At the end of the day I was happy with the experience and satisfied with the four cups of wine, the four pieces of bread and the sweet Charoset and the bitter herbs. (Chrispinus)
“Umuntu ngumuntu ngabantu” meaning a person is only a person through their relation to others. The spirit of ubuntu was so active at our Seder celebration. It was my first time to take part in it and I’ve learnt quite a lot - from the preparations that start in the early afternoon to the main celebration itself. This time around I would describe ubuntu as “it’s all about community”. The word ubuntu comes from the Bantu languages spoken in southern Africa, but I tell you for the first time I felt it in West Africa, Tamale. The Holy Spirit was at work in each one of us, as everything went according to plan and it was just wonderful to get in touch with myself, things that enslave me and the sufferings within and without. Gods love endures forever. Next year in the New Jerusalem! (Jordaan)

The redemption affected by the word incarnate, was aimed at the reintroduction of human kind into the bosom of the trinity. We may rightly say that the purpose of the whole drama of Calvary was the indwelling of the trinity in people’s hearts as it was taught very clearly again as we celebrated the Seder meal on the eve of Holy Thursday. The narration of the whole story from captivity to the Promised Land reminded me of the love of God to all people and how our God keeps his promises. We are an Easter people and may Jesus of Easter live in our hearts as we sing Alleluia. (Paul)

No comments: